This is a recipe that I put together. I used fresh herbs, which in my opinion is so flavorful. You can use dried herbs too if you don’t have fresh. I tried to figure how much dried you would add to get a great flavor. This makes a good amount because I like left overs. You can always cut it in half.
4-5 Medium size zucchini or 6-8 small yellow squash
2 lbs Ground Hamburg or Ground Turkey
8 Large fresh basil leaves chopped fine or 2 Tblsp dried basil
2 Tblsp fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried parsley
2 cups salsa (salsa with great flavor makes a big difference. I used my own canned)
- Preheat oven to 450 Degrees
- Mix the meat, basil, parsley, and salsa together and set aside.
- Wash and cut ends off of zucchini or yellow squash. Cut zucchini or squash length wise in the middle.
- Scoop out the soft middle part of the zucchini or squash and puree in a food processor until fine. Add to meat mixture.
- Fill each zucchini evenly with meat mixture.
- Pour a little spaghetti sauce over top of the meat. (Enough to cover the top)
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese and Panko bread crumbs on top. (What ever amount you like)
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour. This time can vary depending on the oven. Bake until zucchini is soft and meat is done.
- When zucchini is done, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake uncovered another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt to your taste.